This cookie statement explains how cookies and similar technologies are used by g-star.com, outlet.g-star.com, employeeshop.g-star.com (the G-Star Websites) and the G-Star RAW – Official app. It also provides background information on cookies and how to manage your cookie settings. For more information on how G-Star handles your personal data and your privacy rights, please refer to our Privacy Statement.
G-Star is responsible for processing your personal data via cookies and similar technologies on the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app. The legal entities that fall under G-Star are G-Star RAW C.V., G-Star eStore B.V., Erno's B.V. and their subsidiaries and divisions ("G-Star", "we", "us" or "our").
Cookies and similar technologies
Cookies are small pieces of data stored in your web browser on your computer, laptop, mobile phone or other device with access to the internet via a web browser during a visit to a website or use of an app. Cookies are used, for example, to store your password and username, preferences or home pages, the status of your order on a website, personal settings or website tracking (e.g. targeted marketing). The information stored in a cookie can later be read to, for example, tailor a page to your preferences or to automatically log in.
In addition to cookies, other similar technologies can be used for the same purposes, such as:
- HTML5 Local Storage. HTML5 Local Storage or local shared objects are used for the same purposes as cookies;
- Web beacons. Web beacons, also called "tags" or "tracking pixels", are pieces of programming code that can be included in web pages, emails and advertisements. Web beacons can let their user know when web pages, emails or advertisements have been viewed or clicked on by you.
When we refer to "cookies" below, we also mean the similar technologies described above, unless otherwise indicated.
Cookies enable you to take full advantage of the online shopping features and personalised functions on the G-Star Websites and within the G-Star RAW – Official app. We can also offer you the best shopping experience because we collect information that is used to improve the usability and performance of the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app. In addition, we use tracking pixels in our email newsletters so that we can track how often people click through to our G-Star Websites or G-Star RAW – Official app.
- for technical purposes essential to the operation of the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app, such as keeping track of your current shopping session and enabling you to proceed to checkout and pay for products;
- to distinguish you from other users of the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app, so that we can personalise your shopping experience by making the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app, and the advertisements displayed on them, more relevant to your interests and so that we can remember your selections (such as your username, language or the country you are in) when you return to visit the websites and app;
- to collect statistical information about the number of visitors using the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app via the link in our email newsletters, and to measure the success of our newsletters;
- to collect statistical information about how visitors use the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app, so that we can improve the way the websites and app work and measure the success of competitions and campaigns;
- to enable us to fulfil our contractual obligations to third parties, for example to pay an advertising partner if you have made a purchase on the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app by following a link from their website; and
- to provide you with relevant offers outside the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app, such as displaying advertisements on third-party websites or social networks, linking cookie information to customer profiles for direct marketing purposes, displaying push notifications via the G-Star RAW – Official app, or sending messages via SMS, WhatsApp or similar technologies.
How to change your cookie settings and withdraw your consent
For more information about which cookies we place with or without consent, see our detailed cookie overview, here.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by deleting the cookies. You can read how to do that below. You can set most web browsers to automatically accept or reject cookies. If you do not agree to certain cookies being placed, you can always delete existing cookies from your browser and prevent new cookies from being placed by adjusting your browser settings. How this works depends on the browser you are using. You can find this information on the following browsers here:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari Mac
- Apple Safari iPhone, iPod & iPad
If you reject cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all the features of the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app. When you use our websites, you can also set your browser to notify you when a cookie is placed on your computer. Please note that our websites and app require certain cookies to run. Deleting or rejecting cookies also does not necessarily mean that you will no longer see ads. It only ensures that the ads are no longer tailored to your interests.
Cookies used on the G-Star Websites
Cookies with and without consent
We require your consent for all other cookies, such as marketing or tracking cookies.
Cookie categories used on the G-Star Websites
These cookies are essential for the operation of the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app and are used by G-Star for technical purposes, for example to keep track of your current shopping session and to enable you to complete and pay for an order. These are session cookies, which typically store information in the form of a session and are stored in the temporary memory of your browser or your (mobile) device and are deleted when you close the web browser or app. These cookies also allow a website or app to store information that has previously been provided (such as usernames, language choices and your location) so that you can be offered better and more personalised features. They are used by G-Star to distinguish you from other users of our websites and app, so that G-Star can personalise your shopping experience by making our websites and app and the ads displayed on them more relevant to your interests, and so that the choices you make are remembered (such as your username, language or country of residence) when you return to our websites and app. Functional cookies remain on your device until they expire or you delete them. We do not need your consent for functional cookies.
These cookies collect information about how the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app are used. They are used by G-Star to collect statistical information about the number of visitors who come to our websites or app through a link in an email newsletter, in order to measure the success of newsletters; to collect statistical information about how visitors use our websites and app, in order to improve the operation of our websites and app; and to measure the success of competitions and campaigns. These cookies are only used to improve the performance of our websites and app and thus the user experience. These analytical cookies remain on your device until they expire or you delete them. We do not require consent for analytical cookies if the cookies have no or only minor impact on your privacy.
Marketing and retargeting cookies
G-Star also uses affiliate cookies. If you came to our websites or app through one of our partners, the partner may receive compensation from us. Affiliate cookies allow us to determine which affiliate led you to our websites or app. We do not require consent for affiliate cookies if they have limited privacy impact.
First- and third-party cookies
G-Star and external parties (third parties) use session cookies and persistent cookies on the G-Star Websites and the G-Star RAW – Official app. Cookies placed by G-Star are called first-party cookies and are used for various purposes, for example to remember your username and the products in your shopping cart. Cookies placed by a party other than G-Star are called third-party cookies. These cookies can 'recognise' you across different websites for longer periods of time. The external parties placing these cookies may include suppliers working with us to provide the website, companies working with us in joint marketing programmes and other parties.
Cookies placed by G-Star are stored for as long as stated in our detailed cookie overview or until you delete them.
Social media plugins
Social media plugins are plugins that allow you to share content with friends on social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter or similar service providers. We have no control over the settings of these plugins. If you want to know more about what data may be collected through such plug-ins and how the data may be used by the respective service providers, please refer to the privacy policies of the service providers:
To better protect your data when you visit the G-Star Websites or use the G-Star RAW – Official app, social media plugins have been integrated into our websites and app using the so-called 'double-click method'. This method ensures that when you visit a website or app with social media plugins, no connection is established with the servers of the social media providers. No connection will be established until you activate the social media plugin and consent to the transfer of the data. The content of the social media plugin is transferred directly to your browser and embedded in our websites or app. By enabling the social media plugin, social media providers receive information about which of our websites or app you have visited, even if you do not have a profile with the social media provider or are not logged in. This information is transferred directly to the servers of the social media providers and stored there. If you use the social media plugins, e.g. by clicking on the like button, the respective information is transmitted directly to the server of the social media provider and stored there. The information is also displayed on social media or to your contacts, depending on your social media settings.