June 7th 2013
G-Star is constantly working to increase the use of sustainable materials across our entire collection and to positively contribute to the working conditions of the people making our products. Each year, the independent organisation MADE-BY thoroughly verifies our achievements and publishes this online in a G-Star scorecard. The MADE-BY scorecard enables G-Star to communicate progress on our Corporate Responsibility performance in a transparent, independent and credible way.
On the 7th of June, MADE-BY published G-Star’s first scorecard that transparently shows our social and environmental progress over 2012.
The G-Star scorecard can be found here.
To boost the use of sustainable materials in our collection, we have been working together with our suppliers to fit these materials into our supply chain, and gave these materials a permanent place in our design process.
This strategy has resulted in an increase of the percentage of sustainable materials in our collection from 1% in 2011 to 10.1% in 2012. Being a denim brand, we mainly achieved this by replacing conventional cotton with organic cotton. Organic cotton accounts for 10% of our total cotton use, making G-Star the biggest user of organic cotton of all MADE-BY partner brands with an amount of 343.424 kg. Other sustainable materials used in our products include Tencel, recycled polyester, recycled cotton, linen and hemp.
In accordance with G-Star’s nature to push boundaries by constantly developing new products, we will further extend our approach and continue to increase the use of sustainable materials in our collection in the coming years.
G-Star has developed its own social management system and compliance process. As part of this, all suppliers are audited to verify whether they comply with the social standards as listed in our G-Star Supplier Code of Conduct. In addition, our suppliers are coached to continuously improve their social performance. MADE-BY has benchmarked our management system and compliance process against the MADE-BY Social Benchmark.
The result is reflected in G-Star’s Social Scorecard: 72% of our 2012 collection was produced by suppliers that comply with G-Star’s social standards. The remaining 28% share G-Star’s values towards a responsible production and are working actively together with G-Star to make progress and reach full compliance in an agreed time frame.